Friday, August 13, 2010

Meet Tiger

Imagine if…
You had a bee buzzing around your head
And someone asked you to say the alphabet backwards
Imagine if…
You were in the middle of a really loud rock concert
And someone wanted you to name all your aunts and uncles
Imagine if…
You were wearing three pairs of gloves
And someone told you to eat a box of raisins one by one

That’s what things are like for me a lot of the time.
I’m autistic.

Don’t worry if I don’t always do things the way you do.
Try to imagine what it’s like inside my head, then you’ll see…

I was born on March 31, 2004
My Name is Tiger

I am a son, a brother, a grandson, a great grandson
I have a large extended family
I am a nephew, a cousin
even a friend

I was diagnosed with autism when I was 18 months old
I loved to pace back and forth with my fisher price popper toy
The only way my nana could get my attention was to sing

I had to be taught to play with toys and to imitate other children
I did not know how to point or wave, but I learned how and
now I imitate my sister all the time.

I was always a loving boy who enjoyed hugs and I still am.

Sometimes, I really want to play with other children, but I don't know
how to join their games.

Sometimes, my speech is not understood and this frustrates me.
Sometimes I have to use pictures instead of words to tell people what I
need. I learned to read when I was 3 though and while my handwriting is
not great, I can communicate with written words better than I can with
speech.

Autistic children often have restricted interests and stereotypical
behavior. I love my school bus, my blues clues doll and my trains.

I have difficulty with sensory processing. There are textures I hate and
sounds I cannot abide. Sometimes when my senses are overwhelmed, I
meltdown because I don't know what else to do. I am learning how to
cope, but please be patient with my screaming. When I am excited or
happy, I may jump up and down and flap my arms as if I were going to
take off flying. It may look odd to you, but please don't say mean things.
I do understand your words and it does hurt my feelings.

I have been in therapy my whole life. ABA, Speech Therapy,
Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy are just a few of the therapies I
have done. Luckily, my therapists have always made it fun for me and I
have loved them all. I still have normal fun things I do too, like playing at
the park, going to the community pool and playing with my sister. Now t
hat I am a bit older, instead of therapies, I go to school. I will be starting a
regular kindergarten class this fall. I'm a little nervous, but I think it will be
ok.

Sometimes, you might think I am rude when I say *go away* in a loud
voice, but in reality, I may be trying very hard not to melt down.

My facial expressions don't always match how I feel. Sometimes, I feel
scared and anxious. I may make funny noises or move toys across my
eyes and face.

I find comfort in routines and sometimes have a hard time when things
change. When I am relaxed and happy, I have lots of fun. I am smart and
very funny.

Sometimes people misunderstand my intentions. Please don't be quick
to judge me. When you see me having a hard time, please don't stare at
me. And please don't make mean comments about me. I can hear you
and I understand you and it makes me sad.

Your brain is like the inside of a computer, full of connections and wires
with messages to your body whizzing around telling you what to do.

My brain looks the same as yours, except some connections work really
well, and some work really differently.

And my brain wires can get crossed really easily.
So, if I’m doing something a bit funny looking… try not to laugh at me.
It’s just one of my brain connections clearing itself out.

And if I tell you something over and over…
just ask me to stop repeating.
It’s just one of my wires plugged into the wrong socket.

And, if I freak out at some sound that you think is really normal…
maybe help me get away from the sound.
It’s just because my ears have their own unique volume control.

And, if you think I’m ignoring you… I’m not. I’m probably just focused on
something else, like a tiny spider on the ceiling on the other side of the
room.

Autism is a different way of seeing the world. And seeing things the way
I see them is awesome, but it makes me really tired sometimes.

So, I might not always understand what’s going on.
And, I might need time by myself to think things through.
Or, I might crash or jump or swing for a while to straighten myself out

Don’t worry if I don’t always do things the way you do.
Try to imagine what it’s like inside my head, then you’ll see…

I’m not being rude
I’m not being naughty
I’m not sick
I’m autistic
And I’m just being me.

Words are a combination written by an online friend and my own
descriptions of my grandson. The song that goes with this is
Through My Eyes written by Valerie Foley of Australia.

Through My Eyes, sung by Thanh Bui is an
attempt to help people get a handle on what it's like to live with an autism
spectrum disorder.

Music by Fiona Johnson. Words by Valerie Foley. Inspiration from the
lives of those close to us who live with an ASD.

Available for download on iTunes Australia now.

All proceeds to Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect)
www.autismspectrum.org.au

The recording of this song was made possible through the generous
support of Thomas and Friends and HIT Entertainment.
She is currently working on a release for the US and for the UK with
different performers singing the song. (This may be out now, I am not
sure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HwDXoHnVxY

Grandmother to Tiger

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that was amazing! My son was diagnosed with Autism when he was 3 and is now cured, though he still has many traits leftover. This really touched my heart. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete